The beautiful thing about Risotto is you can mix almost any combination of flavours and come up with something delicious! Frauxmagerie favorites for risotto ingredients include lemon juice and sun-dried tomatoes with our Botanic Camembert, avocado and basil with Plant Parm, and shallots with a variety of wild mushrooms and our Botanic Boka.
Serves 2 as a main or 4 as a side dish
1/4 wheel The Frauxmagerie’s Botanic True Blue
1 cup Arborio rice
3-4 cups vegetable broth
1 cup frozen peas
1 bunch asparagus chopped into ¼ inch pieces
1/4 cup diced white or Spanish onion
1/4 tsp turmeric
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Sprig of rosemary
Salt and pepper to taste
- On medium heat using a non stick pan, sauté onions in olive oil until translucent.
- Stir in turmeric, whole rosemary sprig, and uncooked rice.
- Once rice grains are coated in oil, add 2 cups of vegetable broth and the salt. Bring to a simmer and stir until liquid has been absorbed.
- Continue adding ¼ cup of broth, stirring regularly until absorbed, and repeat until rice has almost reach desired consistency. A good risotto will stick to the spoon and become quite heavy.
- Remove the rosemary sprig, and add in your peas and chopped asparagus, cooking for four more minutes to soften the vegetables.
- Once the rice has reached your desired consistency, crumble and stir in your True Blue Botanic Frauxmage.
- Season to taste and serve immediately.
It’s that time of year – the leaves have fallen and we’ve laid our scarves and gloves within arm’s reach. We’re thinking of Fall recipes, dishes that warm our cores that are rich and filling. Chili, hearty soups and risotto come to mind, and Stephanie read our minds when she submitted this recipe! Stephanie took second place in our September photo contest for her risotto featuring True Blue Frauxmage.
Peas are a great source of protein, high in fibre and rich in various vitamins such as A, B6, C, K and lutein. They also contain minerals such as phosphorus, magnesium, copper, iron and zinc. Asparagus is also a great source of the same vitamins, plus folic acid, potassium, manganese and selenium. Turmeric adds a natural anti-inflammatory component, and Frauxmage provides a cholesterol-free, probiotic packed punch to this nourishing dish.